Thursday 14 April 2011

On the Road..


...to Tarascon. The above photograph (from 1967) shows Dave Pearson taking his version of the journey made by Vincent. This from a time when Dave's work was all about exploring his obsession with Van Gogh.  

Yesterday I had my first viewing of the draft assembly version of Derek Smith's film about Dave. It arrived by post the evening before, but I arrived home late and left viewing it until the morning. Even then it was touch and go and I had a train to catch - but I couldn't wait any longer and so stuck it in the Mac. 

There are still holes in it and the end is entirely unfinished. The inserted rostra shots of images are rough and often bleached out and, of course, there are no titles or proper soundtrack yet - either the music or a proper commentary. Despite this I was deeply moved by the film. Derek has found a way of telling the story of Dave's life that focuses on his painting and other artwork; that is informative and yet gives a real insight into a driven, contradictory, wildly talented individual. I'm absolutely confident that the finished film will do justice to its subject.

Our hope is that the film will be finished over the summer months and will be previewed and then released in September. Watch this space for further updates....

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing the film Bob. Will you be having a special screening at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our plans are a little vague at the moment Michael, but one thought is for a screening at the Cornerhouse. I'm sure that all friends and contacts will be sent a notice nearer the time. Regards B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stuff, I'm looking forward to it.

    You and the team are doing a great job Bob, well done to you all.

    ReplyDelete